Alaska Railroad Microfiche Project Collection, 1984
Dates
- Between 1915 and 1923
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is unrestricted.
Conditions Governing Use
Requests for reproductions will be directed to the Anchorage Museum of History and Art and should be discussed with the Librarian.
HISTORICAL NOTE
Construction of the railroad began under the Alaska Engineering Commission around 1916 . After construction was completed in 1923, the AEC became the Alaska Railroad Commission and later, The Alaska Railroad. Early construction was of interest to the government in Washington D.C. and professional photographers were employed to document the work in Alaska. Photographers represented in the collection include P.S. Hunt, H.G. Kaiser, A.J. Johnson and The Sydney Laurence Co. Between 1915 and 1923, nearly 2,700 photographs were taken.
This microfiche collection of the Alaska Railroad photographs was funded by the Alaska Historical Commission and directed by M. Diane Brenner of the Anchorage Historical and Fine Arts Museum. The Anchorage Museum of History and Art holds the original photographs and reproductions must be ordered from the Museum. [From: Alaska Railroad Microfiche Project, Brenner, M. Diane, 1984.]
Extent
44 Sheets (3-ring binder) : 44 microfiche ; over 2,700 images
Language of Materials
English
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This microfiche collection of the Alaska Railroad photographs was funded by a research grant from the Alaska Historical Commission with assistance from the Cook Inlet Historical Society and the Arctic Environmental Information and Data Center.
Existence and Location of Originals
Anchorage Museum of History and Art 121 West Seventh Avenue, Anchorage, AK 99501
Processing Information
The microfiche is stored in a 3-ring binder with the photograph collections.
A detailed inventory that includes both subject and location access, accompanies the microfiche. The collection of fiche is organized into series:
AN: Alaska Northern Railroad from Seward to Turnagain Arm (1916-1917);
B: Moose Creek Spur (1923), unknown photographer;
G and H: Alaska Railroad from Seward to Nenana (1917) by H.G. Kaiser and P.S. Hunt;
J: Nenana area photographs by A.J. Johnson;
JT and L: Photographs by Johnson and Tyler, and Sydney Laurence;
T: Healy to Nenana (1919 to 1921). Unnamed photographer;
TT: Tanana River Bridge at Nenana. Unnamed photographer.
- Title
- Finding Aid for the Alaska Railroad Microfiche Project Collection, 1984
- Status
- In Progress
- Author
- Finding aid prepared by staff.
- Date
- No finding aid date available.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Undetermined
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- English
Repository Details
Part of the Alaska State Library - Historical Collections Finding Aids Repository
PO Box 110571
Juneau AK 99811-0571 US
907-465-2920
907-465-2925
907-465-2151 (Fax)
asl.historical@alaska.gov