Alaska Native Organizations Photograph Collection, 1912-[Ongoing]
The individual and group portraits in this collection represent a span of years from 1912-1996 and include the 1912 founding fathers of the Alaska Native Brotherhood and Sisterhood (ANB, ANS). The photographs portray the wide scope of interests and activities of the Alaska Native organizations. A history of these organizations is included in the collection. Two 1996 portrait panoramas of Native dancers was added to this collection in 2017.
- Majority of material found within 1912-[Ongoing]
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is unrestricted.
Conditions Governing Use
Requests for permission to publish material from the collection must be discussed with the Librarian. Photocopying does not constitute permission to publish. For a reproduction of image #46 the patron needs to contact the Archives and Collections Manager at Sealaska Heritage Institute.
4 folders : 46 photoprints, most black and white
Language of Materials
The provenance for items 1-43 is unknown. Portrait panoramas 44 and 45 were transferred from the Swinomish Tribal Archive, LaConner, Washington, to the Alaska State Library Historical Collections on June 13, 2017. In Feb. 2020, Chuck Smythe, History and Culture Director at Sealaska Heritage Institute, gave us permission to add photograph #46.
Existence and Location of Copies
Photographs digitized and available for viewing via Alaska's Digital Archives: 01-02, 04-06, 11, 19, 22, 25-26, 28, 30-35, 38-43
This collection has been described at the item level. The photographs have been placed in Mylar, all items placed into pH-neutral folders, and then into an archival box.
- Finding Aid for the Alaska Native Organizations Photograph Collection, 1912-[Ongoing]
- Processed by: Staff ; Revised by: Gladi Kulp, May 2004 ; Revised by: Jacki Swearingen, Feb. 2018 ; Revised by: Jacki Swearingen, Feb. 2020 ; ArchivesSpace Finding Aid by: Ginny Jacobs, May 2019 ; Inventory Entered by: Connie Hamann
- 2020 September
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note